tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 05 01:05:50 2000

RE: Deixis and direction

I'll simply point out that in declaring this, you have exactly as much
authority as I do, which is none at all. The simple truth is, the location
of the action of the verb {qang} occurs wherever the Klingon language thinks
it occurs. Maybe the cup. Maybe the pitcher. Maybe the space between. Maybe
the location of the subject, though that seems unlikely. Neither you nor I
actually can dictate this, regardless of our preferences.

> > It does happen in a larger context as well, but
> >there is no locative context which excludes the cup in which one could
> >validly argue the pouring occurs. The location of the pouring always
> >includes the cup. Pouring without the cup in this case is merely
> spilling or
> >leaking.
>
> I can easily imagine pouring a gallon of milk out a second-story window
> into a dishpan waiting on the ground, satisfying the semantic requirements
> of the Klingon verb {qang}.

Actually, I suspect that would have more to do with {lIch} than {qang}.

> I feel justified in claiming that in
> this case
> the location of the pouring is where *I* am, not where the dishpan is.

Possibly yes, possibly no. Only Maltz knows for sure, and I doubt he'll tell
us any time soon.

> I see that SuStel gave a similar example, and that he has
> answered the rest
> of the argument in much the same way I would have, so I'll stop here.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level