tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 04 22:53:57 2000

Re: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

In a message dated 6/28/2000 5:23:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< > I'll
 > agree that "throw" can work like "give", with the thing receiving the
 > thrown object taking a {-vaD}.  But it doesn't *have* to work that way,
 > since an unsuccessful throw doesn't actually end up with the tree
 receiving
 > the dagger.  Using the English phrase "throw at" instead of "throw to"
 > implies to me that you're just using the tree as a reference point and not
 > as an actual target. >>

Just in case you are not fully aware:  {-vaD} is given in TKD appendix as a
suffix for Indirect Object constructions.  Direct Objects take the action of
the verb without the use of a type 5 syntactic marker.

This means:  SorvaD moQ baH SuvwI' = The warrior throws the ball at the tree.

peHruS

peHruS

Back to archive top level