tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 02 23:48:22 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

jatlh qe'San:
> I thought [qang] meant "pour from one thing to another/decant"..  wouldn't
> that (and this is a question) mean that if a target of the pouring was
> specified it would be the indirect object of the sentence with the direct
> object, if specified, being the liquid..???

Thanks, qe'San.  You've helped me to illustrate one of my points: that our
understanding of Klingon is going to be inextricably tied in with our
understanding of English (or whatever your native language happens to be).

bIQ vIqang.
I pour the water.

I can't disagree with the idea that pouring can be done for an indirect
object, so I'll add the following non-object, non-subject noun:

HIvje'vaD bIQ vIqang.

I'm not entirely certain I like that.  I'm not saying it's wrong, but it
certainly strikes me as icky.

On the other hand, if I want to express the idea of the cup's location, I'd
say

HIvje'Daq bIQ vIqang.

Or, if I wanted to express the idea that the captain made me pour the water,
I could say

HoDmo' bIQ vIqang.

I might even combine all of these and still get a meaningful sentence
(provided you accepted /HIvje'vaD/).

HoDmo' HIvje'Daq HIvje'vaD bIQ vIqang.

Personally, I wouldn't use /HIvje'vaD/ for this sort of thing unless I was
absolutely sure it conveyed the right meaning.  It just sounds too strange
for me.  If I'm talking about pouring the water INTO the cup, I'll use
/-Daq/, since that'll give me the same end result, yet its meaning is pretty
clear.

> As to pouring into something I thought the verb used there was [lIch]  -
> pour (into/onto anything).  In this case as into/onto is implied in the
> action.

Ha!!  Wonderful way to circumvent the whole question!

Alas, the idiom uses /qang/, not /lIch/.  Is /lIch/ general purpose, or is
there a restricted meaning?  I don't know where in KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC
TRAVELER to find it.  Sometimes the addendum of that book isn't entirely
clear on the special meanings of things.

SuStel
Stardate 504.5

Back to archive top level