tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 01 12:38:20 2000

Re: obtuse question

jIjatlh:
>  tay'taHghach boSIQjaj.
>  May you endure continued togetherness.

jatlh quljIb:
> Good point. Forgot that <-ghach> forms a noun.  In which case
<tay'ghachraj
> taHjaj> "May your togetherness (i.e., marriage) endure."

No.  First of all, you wouldn't put /-ghach/ on a verb without already
having another verb suffix on it.  Klingons consider this to be a marked
word.  Imagine someone used the word "collapsation."  You know what they
mean, and it appears to follow the rules of English, yet it isn't right.
This is the effect that /tay'ghach/ has for Klingons.  You need another verb
suffix first.

In this case, I used /-taH/ because we're talking about "continued
togetherness."  That's what /tay'taHghach/ means.

The second problem is that in "May your togetherness endure," "your
togetherness" is the subject.  /tay'taHghach/ must come last in the
sentence.

taHjaj tay'taHghachraj.
May your togetherness endure.

SuStel