tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 28 15:45:57 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

I just have to come out lurking for this.

ter'eS has suggested using the new words {pIq} and {ret} to place a sentence
"in the future" and "in the past," respectively.  There have been objections
to this, and these objections surprise me.

Voragh recommends using phrases like {ben law'} "many years ago," {leS law'}
"many days from now," and {nem puS} "a few years from now."  Somehow, he
supposes these are more correct than simply using {pIq} and {ret}.

ret yaH lon.
Some unspecified time period ago, he abandoned his post.

ben law' yaH lon.
A few years ago, he abandoned his post.

My impression is that the first sentence is unacceptable to the experts on
the list, while the second is all right.  I fail to understand why.

The sentence which occurs is {yaH lon} "He abandons his post."  In the
apparently acceptable one, a "timestamp" is added: {ben law'}.  As Marc
Okrand explains, the time at which the action occurs (which typically is
expressed with a noun, though there are exceptions) is added to the
beginning of a sentence (just like any noun which isn't subject or object).

So why is {ben law'} superior to {ret}?  They're both pretty vague.  You at
least know the order of magnitude you're talking about with {ben law'}, but
nothing else.  Would {ben yaH lon} be acceptable?  "Years ago he abandoned
his post"?

I believe it is the bias of the list which has made this declaration.  Years
of familiarity with {ben}, {Hu'}, {nem}, and {leS} have made certain
"accepted" phrases come into common parlance.  Then something else like
these new words comes along, and if they don't match the familiar pattern,
they're not accepted.

{ben law'} is not any better than {ben}.  And if {ben} is acceptable, then
so must {ret} be.  And so on.  {ret yaH lon} is a perfectly acceptable, if
vague, sentence.  Sticking {ret} or {pIq} in front of a sentence is
equivalent to saying "in the past" or "in the future," respectively.  The
original poster was not creating new grammar at all, but using a logical
extension of an already accepted grammar.  Note that this is NOT grammatical
tense.  Grammatical tense would incorporate tense into the grammar--hence
the name.  This is the same form of time labeling as any other time noun.

That said, it's always preferable to state the time context of a sentence
precisely.

SuStel
Stardate 76.6