tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 29 08:19:04 2000

Re: *Egypt*ngan Hol vIDelqa'

> We should not encourage the perpetuation of "abbreviations."  We are not
> abbreviating written Klingon, we are abbreviating an English transcription
> system of spoken Klingon.

I don't think a serious effort was being mounted to create a new
vocabulry.  It is hardly a threat to the language.

> I think Klingons would NOT recognize any of these  abbreviations.

So what?  There AREN'T any Klingons.  They aren't going to see these
abbreviations.

> Let us not succumb to regionalizing the KLI or this mailing list.

I don't think this is a serious effort to flood the list with
abbreviatons.  And given that this list probably encompasses a majority of
the Klingonists in the Universe... it would hardly be "regional".

> It's cute, but imagine the newcomer who thinks he's expected to learn
> and use these abbreviations.

Should they catch on, that is what the FAQ is for.

** joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]    **
****   Hegh tI, 'ej ngab tI naH, 'ach reH taHtaH joH'a'ma' mu'****
**"The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the word of our **
** God stands forever." Isaiah 40.8 NLT** http://umn.edu/~joela **
**http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon/uta: The Universal Translator**

Back to archive top level