tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 25 17:55:27 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

>>...  pIq "QorwaghvaD Kliflash" vIghun.

[email protected]:
>  I believe this is incomplete. specify the unit [pIq] is refering to.

ter'eS:
: I've lost my original notes to {pIq}. I was under the impression that it
: simply referred to some time in the future.  If not, how does it differ
: from the other words we have to express definite days, years, etc. in the
: future?

You may have been confusing {pIq} with {qen} "recently, a short time ago"
which does not require that a specific time period be named.  (Our old
friend {tugh} "soon" would appear to be its complement "a short time from
now".)

According to Okrand's article in HolQeD 8.3, {pIq} and {ret} follow the
noun specifying the lengh of time involved:

pIq  "period of time from now"
 - cha' tup pIq
  "two minutes from now".

ret  "period of time ago"
 - cha' tup ret
  "two minutes ago"

These are words for those irregular periods of time not otherwise provided
for:  Hu'/leS for days, wen/waQ for months, ben/nem for years.  We were
told specifically there isn't one of these word pairs for weeks, oddly enough.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level