tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 25 20:21:30 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

ghItlh Voragh:
>  You may have been confusing {pIq} with {qen} "recently, a short time ago"
>  which does not require that a specific time period be named.  (Our old
>  friend {tugh} "soon" would appear to be its complement "a short time from
>  now".)
>
>  According to Okrand's article in HolQeD 8.3, {pIq} and {ret} follow the
>  noun specifying the lengh of time involved:
>
>  pIq  "period of time from now"
>   - cha' tup pIq
>    "two minutes from now".
>
>  ret  "period of time ago"
>   - cha' tup ret
>    "two minutes ago"
>
>  These are words for those irregular periods of time not otherwise provided
>  for:  Hu'/leS for days, wen/waQ for months, ben/nem for years.  We were
>  told specifically there isn't one of these word pairs for weeks, oddly
> enough.

toH, DaH vIyaj.  Although, I wonder if this definition totally precludes the
way
I used it. {tugh} isn't quite accurate, since it won't really be soon.  I'm
planning
to do it sometime in the future.  If {cha' tup pIq} means "two minutes from
now"
(maybe "two minutes in the future"?), are we sure {pIq} can't mean simply
"in the future"?

>  --
>  Voragh
>  Ca'Non Master of the Klingons