tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 22 20:00:48 2000

Re: talking about the degree of quality of something

>Also, how do I express the ideas "lukewarm", "warm", "room temperature",
>"cool" and "chilly"?  I have <tuj> "hot", <tujqu'> for "boiling", <bIr>
>"cold", <bIrqu"> for "freezing" but how do I express the qualities in
>between?  I also have <Hat> for "temperature".

First, nothing says that tujqu' is "boiling" and bIrqu' "freezing".
But, to answer your question about inbetween... perhaps loQ - slightly
loQ tuj - it is slightly hot
loQ bIr - it is slightly cold

or...
tlhoS tuj - it is almost hot

and some additional info:
tujqu' would most likely be translated "very hot".
We also have tlhoy - excessively.
tlhoy tuj - it is too hot; it is excessively hot.

you could probably make use of the word [rur - resembles].
bIr, chuch rur - it is cold, like ice.

As for [Hat], Okrand hasn't given us any units of measurement for temperature.

DloraH

Back to archive top level