tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 20 10:39:04 2000

Re: titles

Karg:
:  It is my undestanding that HoD is used as a rank only. If Bob's  ship

Nope.  {HoD} can be used all by itself:

  De' Sov qar'a' HoD
  De' Sov HoD qar'a'
  The captain knows the information, right? TKD

  'ach HoD, Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veHtIn wI'el maH'e'.
  But Captain, that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier
   as well. ST5

  HoD QaQbe' ghaH; reH to'waQ yIv
  He/she is not a good captain; he/she always chews ligament. KGT

: CO's rank is Captain then this is appropriate. However, if  he only holds
: the POSITION of Captain, as in being the commanding officer of a ship,
: then ra'wI' is more appropriate since it means "one who commands".

You're right about {ra'wI'} being the word for the position/function of
commander, commanding officer, etc.  When in doubt about Klingon rank insignia,
it's never wrong to address the one in charge as {ra'wI'}; in fact, all ship
captains were called commanders in TOS, which generated a great deal of
speculation in pre-TNG fandom.

We know very little about Klingon nautical traditions.  Perhaps {HoD} also
means {Duj ra'wI'} "one who commands a ship" regardless of official rank, as it
does in English.  OTOH, note that in the three examples I cited above, {HoD}
seems to refer to previously mentioned individuals, just as we can refer to
"the general", "the major", etc. in English.  Azetbur says to one of her
generals in ST6:

  ghu'maj Dayajbe'law' Sa'
  [You don't seem to grasp our situation, General. (ST6 novel)]

: But I'm pretty new to all of this so I might be wrong.

qay'be'.  You couldn't know this just from TKD.  That's why I maintain my
database of canon, i.e. {tlhIngan Hol} as used by Marc Okrand in sentences and
dialogue.  It comes in handy for just this type of discussion.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level