tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 19 08:17:42 2000

KLBC: First Contact [Part 2]

ja' De'vID:
> tlhIngan yejquvvaD QIn potlhqu' lablI'...
> = Transmitting high priority message to Klingon High Council...

jang pagh:
> maj. lab 'Iv? yajlu' 'e' vIpIH, 'ach ngoDvam vI'ol vIneH.

lab De'wI'wIj, qoj vIlab jIH je.  lutvam vIja'taHvIS, Duy'a' vIDa.

[btw, should I avoid the title <Duy'a'>?  It sounds too close to
<Duy''a'>, and I believe MO has warned against this.  I might
throw that in as a humour element later.  What difference, if
any, is there between the pronunciation of the two words?  Just
a longer pause...?  I tried saying the two words to myself and
I really couldn't tell the difference.]

ja' De'vID:
> qIbHeS ngIvtaHvIS Dujmaj, ghom maH nov Segh Hujqu' jumqu' je.
> = While our ship was patrolling the galactic rim, we encountered
> a very odd and very strange alien race.

jang pagh:
>You can't put two different "adjectives" on a single noun.
>The limit is one.

I suspected so, but I couldn't find the rule.  nuqDaq 'oH?

Okay, this is revised:
qIbHeS ngIvtaHvIS Dujmaj, nov Segh wIghom.  Hujqu' chaH 'ej jumqu' je.

--- Part 2 ---

QIn wa'DIch vIchuHpu', QInvetlh vIja'DI' tagh lutvam.
= ... continued from previously.
[How does one say "previous"?  Here I am using "first", but I
will need to say "previous" in my next message.]

DIrI' 'ej maHvaD jang, jatlh: **"Henqun?  Ham nangItlh!"
= We hailed them, and they answered us: **"(untranslated)"

SIbI' QumpInvaD jach *mutlh HoD, jatlh: "qoH!  mughwI' yIchu'!"
= Captain Mooz immediately shouted to the communications officer,
"Fool, activate the universal translator!"

jang QumpIn, jatlh: "Holchaj pojbejlI' mughwI'!  'ach Qapbe'law'!"
= The communications officer answered: "The translator is already
analyzing their language!  But it is apparently having trouble!"

qagh De'wI' ghogh, jatlh: "Hol vIpoj rIntaH.  vImughlaHbe'."
= The computer interrupted: "Analysis of language complete.
Translation is not possible."
[How come we never hear any alien computers on Star Trek?  I
wonder what the Klingon computer voice sounds like.  qu'bej.]

De'wI'vaD ghel *mutlh HoD, jatlh: "qatlh mughlaHbe' jay'?!"
= Captain Mooz asked the computer: "Why (the &#%#@$) not?!"

jang De'wI', ja': "Holmey vIyajbogh rapbe' DoS Hol."
= The computer replied: "The target language resembles no known
languages."
[I have used <DoS Hol> "target language", also "target's language".
I imagine that the Klingons, when confronting a ship, will have
it on its targets.]

ghIq jIHvaD ghel HoD, jatlh: "Duy'a', chay' jura'?"
= The captain then asked me: "Ambassador, how should we proceed?"

(QIn latlh vIchuH, lut vIja'qa'.)
= (To be continued.)
[Oh yeah, and how does one say "next"?]

--
De'vID Duy'a'

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level