tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 18:53:02 2000

RE: limerick attempt: cha' be'nI'pu' / KLBC

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> The grammar of the last line seems fine to me -- it implies that the
> "killed" men are plural, which is quite appropriate.  It's the *first*
> line that requires the {lu-} prefix, unless somehow the sisters manage
> to reside in more than one "First City".

HIvqa' veqlargh. I should have pointed this out.

jatlh De'vID:
: bIlugh, "luDab" vIlo'nIS.  pIj "lu-" moHaq vIlIj.  (I always forget
: this because it's the only one in the "it/them-it/them" combination
: requiring a prefix.)  vaj, *limerick-wIj vIqonqa':
:
: cha' be'nI'pu'
: ==============
: veng wa'DIch luDab cha' be'nI'pu',
: reH chaH leghDI' vay', jatlh: 'IHqu'!
: jagh HoHmeH SuvwI''a'
: betleHDaj lo'nISba',
: 'ach loDpu' HoH be'nI'pu' mInDu'.
:
: (Okay, the syllable count is now a bit off, but I'll just attribute
: it to poetic license.)

jatlh Voragh:

> To fix that you can almost always omit the plural suffix, which
> is optional in Klingon and frequently omitted on nouns following
> numbers or used with verb prefixes referring to a plural subject
> or object:

>  veng wa'DIch luDab cha' be'nI',
>  reH chaH leghDI' vay', jatlh: 'IHqu'!

> Now you're back to eight syllables for line 1.  But, alas, it no
> longer rhymes with lines 2 and 5.

Given that limericks are a popular form of poetry which do not necessarily
use the most formal speech, and that omitting <lu-> is one of the most
common grammatical mistakes in Klingon, it's probably fine the way it was
originally.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ