tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 10:31:25 2000

Re: limerick attempt: cha' be'nI'pu' / KLBC

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> The grammar of the last line seems fine to me -- it implies that the
> "killed" men are plural, which is quite appropriate.  It's the *first*
> line that requires the {lu-} prefix, unless somehow the sisters manage
> to reside in more than one "First City".

De'vID:
: bIlugh, "luDab" vIlo'nIS.  pIj "lu-" moHaq vIlIj.  (I always forget
: this because it's the only one in the "it/them-it/them" combination
: requiring a prefix.)  vaj, *limerick-wIj vIqonqa':
:
: cha' be'nI'pu'
: ==============
: veng wa'DIch luDab cha' be'nI'pu',
: reH chaH leghDI' vay', jatlh: 'IHqu'!
: jagh HoHmeH SuvwI''a'
: betleHDaj lo'nISba',
: 'ach loDpu' HoH be'nI'pu' mInDu'.
:
: (Okay, the syllable count is now a bit off, but I'll just attribute
: it to poetic license.)

To fix that you can almost always omit the plural suffix, which is optional in
Klingon and frequently omitted on nouns following numbers or used with verb
prefixes referring to a plural subject or object:

  veng wa'DIch luDab cha' be'nI',
  reH chaH leghDI' vay', jatlh: 'IHqu'!

Now you're back to eight syllables for line 1.  But, alas, it no longer rhymes
with lines 2 and 5.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons