tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 18:00:47 2000

RE: KLBC me puqmey je

jatlh Jeanne Berryman:

> I was working on a formal introduction, but it's taking
> too long. So here is the quick and dirty version.

qay'be'.

> I'm at work, but I'm obviously not working very hard.
> Everybody else is playing games on the computer -
> jezzball and minesweeper, or e-mailing  bad jokes. I
> decided to spend my time more constructively!

maj. Hol chu' Daghoj.

> tam;Mortagh Outpost Three rur.
> vetlhmey De'wI' ghewmey je DIghaj.

Do'Ha'.

> Today we have five children's performances of The
> Quiet Cricket and The Hungry Caterpillar. Buses bring
> the children. I have taught the staff a new word - puqmey

I have a feeling the "scattered all about" meaning of <-mey> gets applied
more often to children than anything else :-)

> DaHjaj vaghlogh puq ghe'naQ DIcha'.

I think a better verb here would be <much> - "present".

> ghew tam SaD 'uSDu' ghew ghung je pong bIH.

Unlike English, the number forming elements <maH>, <vatlh>, <SaD/SanID>,
etc. cannot be used as numbers all by themselves. You have to add a <wa'>.

Also, <pong> works a little differently from the way you are using it. The
name is the object, as you have, but the person calling the name is the
subject, not the thing which gets called the name. That gets a <-vaD> put
onto it.

bIHvaD <ghew tam>, <wa'SaD 'uSDu' ghung> je DIpong.

> puqpu' qem Dujmey.

maj.

> mu' chu' mangghom vIghojmoH.  puqmey.

<mangghom> is probably not the best word for "staff" (unless it really is an
army). How about <vumwI'pu'> - "workers".

Also, you should probably add <-vaD> to the <vumwI'pu'> so you know it's not
the object of <ghojmoH>. There's a lot of question about how <-moH> works in
general, but for <ghojmoH>, it's probably quite safe to say that the person
doing the learning can take the suffix <-vaD>.

vumwI'pu'vaD mu' chu' vIghojmoH: <puqmey>.

> Sorry, that was pretty quick.

qay'be'.

> Qu'vatlh!  chuSchoH ghogh HablI'wIj. vIjangnIS.

vaj yIjang. bIjatlhtaHvIS naDev maratlh.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ