tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 12 05:01:30 2000

Re: RE: ABC's

ghItlh CVOC7

>If I make something up then let everyone review it. perhaps a symbol order
>can be generated.

You miss the point. As has been stated we don't know the "correct" order of
the alphabetic characters, let alone if pIqaD actually represents an
alphabetic system. The current assignment of phonemes to characters has a
troubled history, but is the only thing we have and as such has come to be
accepted (with the caveats stated above).

Acknowledging that any order imposed on these characters is necessarily
arbitrary, the inclination it is to go with the Federation fiction and follow
the same order used by Okrand in TKD. That's the precedent in place here. The
only real difficulty it presents is computerized sorting, and several people
on this list have already described their respective methods for working
around this problem.

>for my own use I'll take a Vulcan guess and if something is discovered
>I'll change my notes.

not loy vulqangan.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level