tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 15:55:20 2000

RE: ABC's

jatlh CVOC7:

> If I were to devise somthing that works and fits the known
> facts, can it be adopted into the the tlhIngan-Hol?
> If so who should I contact?

Legal issues aside, the only one who can really make changes to tlhIngan Hol
is Marc Okrand. He created the language, and he continues to expand it. We
study it and speak it, and we have some limited interaction with Dr. Okrand,
so we can ask questions, but that's it.

We do not control the language, and that is a good thing. We treat the
langauge a lot like that of some long lost tribe on an island in the Pacific
- we can pester the native speakers for details, but we cannot make them up
our own.

This has a wonderful effect - instead of trying to improve the language, we
just use it. We do sometimes get into debates about unclear points of
grammar or vocabulary, but for the most part, we talk to each other just
like we would if we were a group of high school students learning some
exotic language that nobody else in the state could understand.

The first time you and a few friends figure out where to go to dinner
without a word of English spoken between you, you will understand why this
is such a wonderful thing.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

for my own use I'll take a Vulcan guess and if something is discovered I'll
change my notes.

Back to archive top level