tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 08 02:26:46 2000

RE: KLBC: another Zen story: <Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh>

jatlh De'vID:

> ... latlh <Zen> lut vIja'.
>

> *Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh*
> = *A Cup of Tea*
>
> [Yes, that's the reason I asked how to translate "cup of
> tea". While not referring to the cup, this title doesn't
> exactly refer to the tea either.  Hence my translation,
> lit. "A Tea Cup Which Has Been Filled Up", which I hope
> captures the spirit of the original.]
>

> qaStaHvIS <Meiji> poH, yIn ghojmoHwI''a'
maj.

> ghaHbogh <Nan-in>'e'.
OK, this doesn't quite work. The best thing to do is simple break it into
two sentences and say <... yIn ghojmoHwI''a'. ghaHvaD *Nan-in ponglu'.>.

> ghaH Such DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI'.
> = During the Meiji era, there lived a great teacher
> named Nan-in. A university professor came to visit him.
maj.

> DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI'vaD Dargh qang <Nan-in>.
maj.

> buy'ta' HIvje' 'ach qangtaH.
<buy'> is something the cup is doing, not the teacher, and the cup can't
really accomplish a goal, so <-ta'> is not appropriate, and I really don't
think <-pu'> is either. The suffix you want here is <-choH> - the cup became
full. It didn't start that way, but got that way as a consequence of the
action. It changed state. That is what <-choH> is for.

buy'choH HIvje' 'ach qangtaH *Nan-in.

> = Nan-in served tea for the professor.  He poured the
> cup full, but kept on pouring.

> vIHtaHbogh Dargh 'e' bej DuSaQ'a' ghojmoHwI',

vIHtaHbogh Dargh bej ...
vIHtaH Dargh 'e' bej ...

Pick one or the other, but not both.

> vaj jotHa' 'ej qagh.

Again, <jotHa'> would be a good place for <-choH>.

> "buy'qu' HIvje'.
maj.

> 'ellaH pagh!" jatlh.
This is "nothing can enter", but I don't think it applies very well to the
teacup and the tea. I can't think of a good way to express "more" in Klingon
right now. <latlh> works for discreet objects like eggs (e.g. <latlh QIm
DaneH'a'?>), but there is no indication that it works for mass nouns like
water or tea. This might just be worth asking Okrand about.

In any case, I would probably use <chel> instead of <'el> here: <Dargh
DachellaHbe'> - "You cannot add (more) tea".

> = The professor watched the overflowing tea, until
> he just had to speak up.  "It's too full.  Nothing
> (more) will go in!"

> "Dargh HIvje'vam bIrur," jatlh <Nan-in>.
Darur.

> "nItebbej vuDlIj law' qechlIj law' je.
I almost chided you for putting a verb suffix on the adverbial <nIteb>, but
you're really using it as a verb. majQa'!

> HIvje'lIj Dabuy'Ha'moHbe'chugh vaj
> qaghojmoHlaHbe'."
<chIm> would be much better than <buy'Ha'>.

> = "Like this cup," said Nan-in, "you are
> full of your opinions and ideas.  Unless
> you first empty your cup, I cannot teach you."
>
> [In the original Nan-in actually asks, "Unless you first empty your
> cup, how can I teach you (Zen)?" but I felt a direct statement to
> be more appropriate in the Klingon translation.]

vInoHlaHbe' jIH. That's a subtle enough decision to be beyond my scope.

> Perhaps a simile (KGT p. 127) that might be used to describe the
> professor is:
> <buy'; Dargh HIvje' rur> "full as a tea cup"
> implying that he is unable to learn because he is already full
> of his own opinions.

Oh, my. I have the feeling that one will stick.

Another good post. Keep it up!

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level