tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 08 10:29:22 2000

RE: KLBC: another Zen story: <Dargh HIvje' teblu'bogh>

"Andeen, Eric" wrote:
> jatlh De'vID:
>
> > 'ellaH pagh!" jatlh.
> This is "nothing can enter", but I don't think it applies very well to the
> teacup and the tea. I can't think of a good way to express "more" in Klingon
> right now. <latlh> works for discreet objects like eggs (e.g. <latlh QIm
> DaneH'a'?>), but there is no indication that it works for mass nouns like
> water or tea. This might just be worth asking Okrand about.
>
> In any case, I would probably use <chel> instead of <'el> here: <Dargh
> DachellaHbe'> - "You cannot add (more) tea".

Hmmm... well, I wanted the statement to apply both to the tea, as well
as to the ideas with which the professor's head was full.  Hence, "no
more can go in" - referring both to the tea/tea cup and ideas/professor's
head.  Qu'vam vIta'meH choQaHlaH'a'?  I wanted the sentence to be open
enough that it doesn't have to refer to the tea only.  Perhaps this is
beyond my abilities at the moment.

How does one go about asking MO something?  Is there a queue of some
sort (I imagine many Klingonists would like him to make points of
clarification)?

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level