tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 16:26:18 2000

RE: KLBC marx in the original klingon

jatlh Jeanne Berryman:

> groucho, that is.
>
> mulajqangbogh ghom jImuvbe'
>
> I would not join a group that would have me as a member.

Should be <vImuvbe'>, but very nice otherwise.

> I'm bad with transliterations but how about  ghIrcho' mareQ ?

I don't like to encourage transliterations, but I would probably go with
<ghaw'cho matlh>.

> How do you say "in the original klingon"

You really don't. Klingon doesn't have a close parallel for this sort of
thing. You need to think seriously before translating. For "I read Hamlet in
the original Klingon", I would probably say:

Hamlet vIlaDta'. tlhIngan Hol vIlaD; mughlu'be'.

> ta' tlhIngan Hol jatlh   ?

This would be "[he/she] speaks Emperor's Klingon", referring to the
prevailing dialect of the time. It doesn't really have anything to do with
"original" Klingon. For that, you would probably say: <tlhIngan Hol lo'
lutvam qonwI'>.

> Qu'vatlh!  chuSchoH ghogh HablI'wIj. vIjangnIS.

Do'Ha'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ