tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 06 15:58:09 2000

RE: RE: *Millennium*

ja' charghwI'

> > ## For the celabration of the Millennium the way years are counted is by
> the
> > dedgits  thus the 70's 80's 90's. ##
> >

> > QIpwI'pu'vaD *millennium* DaQIjmeH lutvam Dalo'laH:
> >
> > mangghom Daghaj. tlheghmey chenmoH negh. wa'SaD mang ngaS Hoch
> tlheghmey.
> > tlhegh wa'DIchDaq negh tItogh. nuQ mang Qav mI'? wa'SaD! DaH, tlhegh
> > cha'DIch negh tItogh. nuQ mang Qav mI'? cha'SaD! nuQDaq bItogh? tlhegh
> cha'!
> > tlhegh wejDIchDaq Datoghbe'.
> >
> > pItlh.
> >
> > -------------------------
> > Here is a story that you can use to explain the millennium to morons:
> >
> > You have an army. The soldiers form lines. Every line has 1000 soldiers.
> > Count the soldiers in the first line. What is the last soldier's number?
> > 1000! Now, count the soldiers in the second line. What is the last
> soldier's
> > number? 2000! Where are you counting? The second line! You are not
> counting
> > the third line.
> >
> > Say'IluD
> > vIt, batlh, yIn
>
> By that logic, your first year begins when you are one year old.
> So, I guess you must be born a year old. That, or the year
> before your first birthday somehow didn't happen. It must be one
> of those little warps in the space-time continuum that happens
> so commonly in the Star Trek universe...
>
> charghwI'

	Not true!  When a child is born, he's in his first year.  As soon as
he turns one, he's in his second year.  That's day 366, not day 365.  It's
the same thing exactly with Say'IluD's soldier example.  Soldier #1000 is
the last soldier in the *first* line, soldier #1001 is the first soldier in
the *second* line.  For 2000 to be the first year of the third millinium, we
would have needed to start our count at zero.  In fact there was no year
zero, 1 AD is preceeded by 1 BC.

	- tuv'el, HovQeD po'wI'Hom  >:-{)

Back to archive top level