tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 25 10:25:31 2000

Re: Verb Affixes

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 20:47:43 -0800 Qov <[email protected]>
wrote:
> mojaqmey moHaqmey motlhbe' je vISovchu'be'.  chay' vIghoj?
>
> jatlh David Yeung
>
> > I find that I am still cheating when it comes to verb affixes.  I know the
> > more common ones, but I still have to look up the rare ones in a chart.  I
> > would like to be able to know them by heart.  Does anyone have suggestions /
> > ideas to share?  In terms of recognition I am mostly having trouble with
> > prefixes.  I can recognize all of the suffices but sometimes forget their
> > order.
>
> Three suggestions.
>
> One, memorize that table by brute force.  Copy it out, then cover it up and
> write out as much as you can from memory.  Repeat until you can write out
> the whole thing from memory, even if you have to really strain to do it.
>
> Two, never look up the prefixes unles you really really have to.  Certainly
> don't make it easy to look them up.  If you can't remember one, then write
> out the table again, from memory.  If you can't remember, guess, then look
> up your guess on TKD p.163, without peeking.  If you guessed wrong, guess
> again.
>
> Three, find or make up little phrases that make them easier to remember.
>
> > Also, has every prefix been used in canon?
>
> Let's see ...
>
> jIQong, bIQong, Qong, maQong, SuQong, qalegh, cholegh, vIlegh, mulegh,
> Salegh, tulegh, Dalegh, Dulegh, julegh, pIlegh, lulegh, yIQong, peQong,
> HIQIp, ghoqIp, tIqIp are all in TKD 4.1.1.  Boring canon, but it's canon.
>
> That leaves nI-, lI-, wI-, bo-, nu-, che-, re-, and DI-.

nIn 'ar wIghaj. TKD Useful phrases.

cheqotlhchugh maHaghbe''a'? 131 something. The Palm
Dictionary software has some bugs in it when you try to use
the phrase lookup.

> Nothing comes to mind.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level