tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 14:30:34 2000

RE: KLBC - Conversational Klingon

jatlh Mike Crane:

> For no apparent reason I decided to translate the intro to
> the Conversational Klingon tape. After slowing it down and
> listening to it over and over this is what I got:

It's been a while since I've listened to it, but I'll try to remember what I
can.

> Okrand:	tuch Qu' choH
>	I forbid you to change mission

I do remember the first line quite clearly: <tujqu'choH QuQ> - "The engines
are getting very hot".

> Woman:	Qor nughoS jaH
>	The battle is approaching us

I don't remember what the actual line was, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't
it. <Qor> is a word from KGT, so it wouldn't be in CK, which was recorded
well before KGT came out. What you heard as <Qor> might be the <QuQ> from
the previous line; I don't know.

The <jaH> is probably <chaH> - "They are approaching us".

> Man:  	chay' jura'
> 	What are your orders?

maj.

> Woman:	Qu'vatlh
> 	*%&#!

maj

> Okrand:	vaj maHegh.  cha yIghuS
>	In that case, we die.  Stand by torpedoes.

This sounds right, but I can't say for sure. It might have been <batlh
maHegh>.

> Man:  	So'wI' yIchu'Ha'
> 	Disengage cloaking device.

> Woman:	baH
> 	Fire!

maj.

> Okrand:	bIjeghbe'chugh vaj biHegh!  thlIngan maH!
> 	Surrender or die!  We are Klingon!

maj.

> Is this all correct? I couldn't quite get the Woman's first
> line (her second was clear enough)

I always had trouble with the second line.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ