tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 23 13:36:08 2000

Re: KLIC - qaStaH'a'?

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:58:49 -0800 (PST) Robyn Stewart
<[email protected]> wrote:
> wa'maH Hu' KLIC chup vay'. chupwI' vIngu'Ha' 'ach qech DelmeH, jeSmo'
> nuv puS cherwI'pu' chaHlaw' Hoch'e'.
>
> = Ten days ago someone suggested the KLIC.  I misidentified the
> proposer, but as a handful of people participated in describing the
> idea, it seems like they are all founders.
>
> valmo' chaH 'ej ghaqDI' reH Daj, KLIC vItIv'eghrupmoH.

That is one of the most interesting combinations of
suffixes I've seen in quite some time. Unless my memory is
once again failing me, the only time I've seen Okrand
combine {-'egh} and {-moH} were with stative verbs like
{jI'IH'eghmoH}, and following the usual rules for {-'egh},
the prefix implies no direct object. Or was it an
imperative, like {yItuj'eghmoH}? Toss in the ditransitive
issue and this gets really spicy. Or messy, depending on
your perspective.

Meanwhile, I think I would have just said, {KLIC
vItIvrupchoH.} We cause ourselves to do everything that we
do. That's what free will is all about, and Klingons
especially understand the concept of responsibility for
one's choices.

> = As they are bright and their contributions always interesting, I
> prepared myself to enjoy the KLIC.
>
> 'ach ngablaw'pu'.  chaw' boloS'a'?  'utbe'.  jabbI'IDghom
> boghongbe'bej. yIruch neH.
>
> = But it seems to have vanished.  Are you waiting for a permit?  It's
> not necessary.  You're not abusing the list.  Just go for it.

jeSwI'pu' pIlmoHmeH reH 'umchu'taH Qov.

> jIjeSbej jIH.  'ach SaghuHnISmoH.  rut mu'meywIj vImughchu'be'.
>
> = The picture of the ship in which he fled is on the glass table.

bIHIgh, jupwI'.

Haw'meH Duj'e' lo'pu'bogh Qov 'oS bey'. Doqbe' raS 'ej
SuDbe'. bIQ watlh rur. raSvamDaq bey'vetlh tu'lu'.