tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 21 21:48:14 2000

Re: Word origins

jatlh Mark E. Shoulson:
> I'm still not really here, only reading the list with half an eye, but I
> thought I might warn you folks looking for meaning in the Klingon lexicon:
> it is a safe bet you will find it *whether or not* it is there.
> [...] Given the range of possible puns [...] and all the possibilities
> even in a single area (TV shows, movies), the odds of several *dozen*
> of these puns happening purely BY CHANCE is very high.

You're right.  I didn't mean to raise the issue of puns, it's just
that I finally collated all my Klingon notes into one spreadsheet,
and in the process I noticed a lot of suspicious words.  I'll concede
that <much> and <Saq> are probably coincidental, but I thought I'd
mention them to see if anyone else thought the same things.  I thought
more people would see MuchMusic, but I'm surprised that one person
(pagh) got what I was thinking with <Saq>.  Unless MO is a SNL fan
it's unlikely he meant it intentionally.

>Check out
>http://www.zompist.com/chance.htm

Neat.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level