tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 14 06:15:29 2000

RE: KLBC <chyrano berjeraq>

>From: "Eric Andeen" <[email protected]>

>In English, a lot of verbs use helper pronouns - listen to, concentrate on,
>participate in, etc. Klingon doesn't work this way. Often the English
>helper
>pronoun is built into the verb, as in <buS> - "concentrate on". But
>sometimes the Klingon verb doesn't work like the English verb at all, like
><'Ij> - "listen".
>
>You (probably) can't say <Duj vI'Ij> in Klingon any more than you could say
>"I listen the car" in English. And you *definitely* can't say <DujDaq
>jI'Ij>
>to mean "I listen to the car". This would actually mean that I am doing my
>listening *in* (or by,at,on,etc.) the car, which is quite different. The
>noun suffix <-Daq> is *only* used for spatial concepts of location or
>motion, and can't fill in for English's helper pronouns.
>
>The definition of <qIm> - "pay attention, concentrate" - suggests that it
>might not be able to take an object. The definition of <qImHa'> -
>"disregard" - looks like it *can* take an object, and it's quite clearly
>the
>opposite of <qIm>. I think I remember a discussion about this a while back
>on the list, with a canon example of <qIm> (not <qImHa'>; just <qIm>) being
>used with an object, but the new list archive seems to lack a search
>function, so I can't be sure.

In fact, script written by Okrand, and removed from Star Trek V, indicates
that both /qIm/ and /'Ij/ are transitive.  This stuff was written by Okrand
but never completed on film.  Some may say it's not "canon," but it's what
Okrand was thinking . . . .

SuStel
Stardate 122.1

P.S.: /Duj/ means "ship."  Not "car."