tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 10 14:45:32 2000

Re: Canonical Klingon

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:09:58 EST [email protected]
wrote:
> ok. Im sick of seeing words on emails that i cannot find in the dictionary,
> in TKG, or in the list provided in the FAQ or where ever it is.  Where can I
> find a compleate and up to date list of ALL tlhIngan Hol words?  or is it
> just a misspelling for the most part throwing me off?
> example:
> jatlh charghwI':
> >DawI'pu'vam DISov'a'?
>
> I can't find a single word like this.  there is Da' (corporal) (which is a
> noun so it screws up the word;  thus leading me to believe that is not the
> intended word) but no Da or DawI'.

In the TKD Addendum, you'll find {Da} - (v) "behave as, act
in the manner of".

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but if the
> -wI' (type 4) is a noun suffex, shouldn't it be AFTER the pu' (type 2)?

{-wI'} is also a Type 9 verb suffix, converting the verb
into a noun, so this suffix is at the END of the verb, but
before any noun suffixes. All noun suffixes would follow it
because {Da} is not a noun until {-wI'} is added to it.

> Or
> is he writing that the verb <Da> is now a noun from the <-wI'>, thus the
> appearent mixing of the types?  In any case, what is Da?  and where can I
> find it?

Remember that there are currently four main word lists:

TKD
TKD Addendum
KGT
The KLI New Words List

If you can't find a word in any of these four places, let
me know and if it is indeed a canon word, I'll make sure it
makes it into that 4th list.

If you do make a word list as others have already
recommended, MAKE SURE YOU NOTE WHERE YOU GOT EACH WORD.
You will want to be able to go back and verify, perhaps
years from now, that you actually spelled it right and got
the definition and part of speech, etc. correct. Every
dictionary has errors and you'll be frustrated if you are
criticized for misusing a word and you and someone else
start arguing about a word when neither of you have
recorded the source, so you can't go back and check to see
who is right...

Klingon-word, English-def, part-of-speech, source.

You may want other information about the word as well, but
you definitely want these as the minimum information to
track all words you collect.

> -veS joH

charghwI'

Back to archive top level