tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 09 23:53:24 2000

Time concepts/Chang's new lines (Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0])

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:25:02 -0500 (EST)
[email protected] wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask this for some time, but how does one use
> days as nouns in a sentence?  <DaHjaj>, <wa'Hu'>, <wa'leS> etc. are
> used as adverbials.

While I understand what you mean, to be technical, these
are used as time stamps, not as adverbials. The only
adverbial time stamp is {DaH}, which is not the same thing
as {DaHjaj}, which is a noun acting as a time stamp. It is
one of those "other" nouns (other than the direct object)
which come at the beginning of the sentence, before the
direct object.

> The canon example that I can think of is <jajvam>
> for "this day" in "It is a good day to die".

A real stinker, if you ask me, but then it is canon, after
all.

> Here are two instances of what I mean.  Here is a sentence that I wanted
> to translate for my girlfriend:
> "Cherish your yesterdays; dream your tomorrows; but live your todays."

wa'Hu'meylIj tItIvchu'; wa'leSmeylIj tInab; 'ach
DaHjajmeylIj tIchu'.

Better yet:

wa'Hu'meylIj DavuvmeH yIqaw; wa'leSmeylIj DavuvmeH yInab;
'ach DaHjajmeylIj DavuvmeH yIjeSchu'.

> Leaving aside for the moment that I can't think of a word "to cherish",

tIvchu'meH buS

> and that perhaps <naj> may not carry the connotation in tlhIngan Hol of
> "dream (in the sense of plan)", I couldn't think of how to recast "dream
> your tomorrows" in tlhIngan Hol.  <wa'leS yInaj> would be "Tomorrow,
> dream!"  Not exactly what I want to say.  I thought about following the
> "good day to die" example: <qaSpu'bogh jajmey yIpol (cherish?) ;
> wej qaSbogh jajmey yInab (or perhaps naj) ; DaHjaj, jajvam yItIv (or yIn
> or lop)!>  Does that seem to make sense (and which words should I use)?

I like your thinking process through all of this. You have
some excellent potentials brewing in this pot. {lop} is an
excellent choice for "cherish".

> Another example are Chancellor Gorkon's and General Chang's lines
> in the upcoming Klingon Academy.  Gorkon says: "Melchor publicly
> declared himself Emporer no more than an hour ago."  To which
> Chang responds: "As of today, we are at war."  How would I go about
> expressing either of these time concepts in tlhIngan Hol?

QoylaHmeH Hoch, maqta' melchor. jatlh <<ta' jIH!>> wa' rep
ret qaSpu'be' wanI'vam.

DaHjaj maQojchoH!

> FYI, here are Chang's new lines.  I'd be interested in seeing
> people's renditions of them in the "original Klingon".
>
> Chang: "I am not interested in the names of your fathers, or of
> your family's lineage.  What I am interested in is your breaking point."

vavra' pongmey no' je vISaHbe'! 'oy' 'ar DaSIQlaH? HI'ang!

> [I got as far as <vavra' pongmey qorDu'raj qun ghap vISaHbe'>, but
> got stuck at how to say "breaking point".]

'aqroS DaSIQlaHbogh

> Chang: "Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay... The worst is death.
> Death will have his day."
> (This is "Richard II", III ii 102-103.)

che'bej Hegh.

The rest is the work of verbose Federation translators when
they translated from the original Klingon. They must have
been paid by the word. Do you really think any Klingon
would ever say, "The worst is death."? I don't translate
gibberish such as this.

> [Probably too advanced for me to attempt, though I would appreciate
> seeing an experienced person's translation of this.]
>
> choQaHpa' qatlho'.
> = Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> De'vID

> Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
> Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
> the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level