tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 02 10:26:06 2000

Time concepts/Chang's new lines (Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0])

> And here's how I think it works with an unspecified time period:
>
> poH ngaj  (a short period of time)
> ret ngaj  (a short time ago)
> pIq ngaj (a short time from now)
>
> or:
>
> poH nI'  (a long period of time)
> ret nI'  (a long time ago)
> > pIq nI'  (a long time from now)

I've been meaning to ask this for some time, but how does one use
days as nouns in a sentence?  <DaHjaj>, <wa'Hu'>, <wa'leS> etc. are
used as adverbials.  The canon example that I can think of is <jajvam>
for "this day" in "It is a good day to die".

Here are two instances of what I mean.  Here is a sentence that I wanted
to translate for my girlfriend:
"Cherish your yesterdays; dream your tomorrows; but live your todays."

Leaving aside for the moment that I can't think of a word "to cherish",
and that perhaps <naj> may not carry the connotation in tlhIngan Hol of
"dream (in the sense of plan)", I couldn't think of how to recast "dream
your tomorrows" in tlhIngan Hol.  <wa'leS yInaj> would be "Tomorrow,
dream!"  Not exactly what I want to say.  I thought about following the
"good day to die" example: <qaSpu'bogh jajmey yIpol (cherish?) ;
wej qaSbogh jajmey yInab (or perhaps naj) ; DaHjaj, jajvam yItIv (or yIn
or lop)!>  Does that seem to make sense (and which words should I use)?

Another example are Chancellor Gorkon's and General Chang's lines
in the upcoming Klingon Academy.  Gorkon says: "Melchor publicly
declared himself Emporer no more than an hour ago."  To which
Chang responds: "As of today, we are at war."  How would I go about
expressing either of these time concepts in tlhIngan Hol?

FYI, here are Chang's new lines.  I'd be interested in seeing
people's renditions of them in the "original Klingon".

Chang: "I am not interested in the names of your fathers, or of
your family's lineage.  What I am interested in is your breaking point."

[I got as far as <vavra' pongmey qorDu'raj qun ghap vISaHbe'>, but
got stuck at how to say "breaking point".]

Chang: "Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay... The worst is death.
Death will have his day."
(This is "Richard II", III ii 102-103.)

[Probably too advanced for me to attempt, though I would appreciate
seeing an experienced person's translation of this.]

choQaHpa' qatlho'.
= Thanks in advance.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level