tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 07 00:25:20 2000

Re: jIrop

<rachwI'> qel ghotpu' . . .

jatlh QInteS:
>>I use it for "nurse".  I know we have *rachwI'* but I don't see how that
>>indicates anything medical.  *rachwI'* seems like it would be more of the
>>Florence Nightengale nurse in the times where nurses only comforted people
>>and doctors did all the work.

jatlh SuSvaj:
> I don't get that at all.  I can't imagine the Florence Nightengale image
> applying to anything Klingon.  "rach" means to upgrade, or improve, so
> "rachwI'" is the individual that does the improveing, the person who does
> the actual hands on work.  In any case, to avoid confusion, I would
suggest
> that we use the words we're given.

jIQochnIS. Marc Okrand gave us <rachwI'> in a post to the startrek.klingon
newsgroup during a discussion on nurses. Unfortunately, all the old posts
seem to have expired recently, and I don't feel like tracking them down or
looking for an archive, so I'll have to do this from memory.

He basically said that the Klingon role that most closely corresponds to a
nurse is usually called a <rachwI'>. He did *not* rule out the terms <Qel
boQ> for someone who assists a doctor or <QelHom> for one who performs some
of the duties of a physician. In fact, I think <QelHom> is the ideal word to
describe QInteS. It could also be used to describe an intern, but I suspect
the level of medical duties an intern can perform are similar to what QInteS
can do. The fact that the intern is expected (if successful) to become a
full doctor, while QInteS is not, is irrelevant. I imagine <QelHom> would
also apply to a paramedic of field medic. <rachwI'> does not always apply to
other types of nurses, either - a surgical nurse would almost certainly be
called <HaqwI' boQ>.

<rach> *is* the best word for many nursing functions, and I think it would
probably also apply perfectly to physical therapy, which is most definitely
*not* considered part of "nursing".

The fact is, the term "nurse" - and all the cultural and professional
meaning that goes with it - covers a wide range of functions, and while
<rachwI'> applies very well to many of them, it is not *the* term for
"nurse". Okrand implicitly (or maybe explicitly) said that Klingon medical
practice differs enough from ours that there cannot be a single Klingon word
for "nurse", since Klingons don't have a single category of workers who
perform these activities.

>> I still call myself a nurse too.  I just use a word I prefer.  Don't
>> forget, *rachwI'* doesn't only mean nurse.  It means "one who
strengthens,
>> one who invigorates, one who fortifies".  *rachwI'* could be a counselor,
>> a friend, a religious leader, etc.. Just like QelHom can mean several
>> different things. There is no literal translation for nurse that I am
>> aware of.

> Not so.  Marc Okrand specifically gave us "rachwI'" as "nurse."
> It does not apply to any counselor or anything else.

We got hold of <rach> in the context of medicine, and the definition seems
to be slanted toward physical concepts relating to the health of the body.
I'll stick to using it for physical health matters. It could easily apply to
psychological or spiritual things as well, though. Here are a few other
words that might be of interest in that area.

qeSwI'
tungHa'wI'
jaqmoHwI'
pIlmoHwI'