tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 04 14:42:22 2000

batlh rachwI' (was re: jIrop)

> >I use it for "nurse".  I know we have *rachwI'* but I don't see how that
> >indicates anything medical.  *rachwI'* seems like it would be more of the
> >Florence Nightengale nurse in the times where nurses only comforted people
> >and doctors did all the work.

nuqjatlh?  bIDoghqu' ...

I think y'all need to get a better picture of just what Florence
Nightingale did - (then flush  mu'mey QIpqu' like "the times where nurses
only comforted people" [yah, like "giving comfort" isn't work])

>From www.brittanica.com:  (go there to read the rest. it's free!)

(sounds pretty heroic to me)

Florence Nightingale

In 1854-56, during the Crimean War, she was in charge of nursing in the
military hospitals at Scutari, in Turkey, where she coped with conditions
of crowding, inadequate sanitation, and shortage of basic necessities. In
1860 she established in London the Nightingale School for Nurses, the
first such in the world.

The Crimean War broke out in March 1854, and the allied British and French
armies landed on the Crimea in September. Almost at once the British
conscience was dismayed by published graphic reports of the disgraceful
conditions suffered by sick and wounded British soldiers. Women were urged
to serve as nurses like the French Sisters of Charity. Nightingale
volunteered at once to leave in three days for Constantinople, taking
three nurses with her. Meanwhile, she was officially approached by her old
friend, the then secretary of state at war, Sidney Herbert (later Lord
Herbert of Lea), to take out a much larger party of nurses. She was to
have complete charge of the nursing in the military hospitals in Turkey
(i.e., at Scutari). The party left England on Oct. 21, 1854, and entered
the Barrack Hospital at Scutari on November 5.

On her party's arrival she found that they had no decent facilities
whatever. Their quarters were infested with rats and fleas, and the water
allowance was one pint per head per day for all purposes. She had to use
the provisions brought with her. The doctors were hostile, and at first
the nurses were not allowed in the wards. After the Battle of Inkerman
(fought on the very day of her arrival) the hospital was soon grossly
overcrowded with sick and wounded. ....

Back to archive top level