tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 14 12:00:09 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (your new name)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Steven Boozer wrote:

> I do agree with you, however, in that novice Klingonists should feel free to
> pick any name that strikes their fancy, in any spelling: Standard, tlhIngan
> Hol, klingonaase, Paramount, etc.  If they don't want to spell it according to
> Okrand's rules, they don't have to; but the option exists nevertheless when
> writing ta' Hol.
>
> Also, don't feel compelled to try and translate your human name into Klingon.
> I certainly didn't want "Steven Boozer" to be known on this list as {mIv'a'
> chechwI'}!  Consider it an opportunity to reinvent yourself.
>
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
>
> (whose name is also meaningless, being merely a combination of two Paramount
> names heard in TNG episodes I liked: Vagh and Moragh)

Agreed. For the Begginers, a good sugestion is to pick some distinguishing
mark or characteristic, as I did. If I tried to accurately translate the
meaning of my {tera'ngan pong}, 'twould come out something like: {Qun'a'
bang}, which is just embarassing. =)

quljIb (aka "fire hair" or "hair of flame")

Back to archive top level