tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 13 12:54:11 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (your new name)

peHruS opined:
: Examples:  B'Elanna is not Okrandian Klingon spelling at all.  The name is
: valid. Worf contains the letter "f," a letter not in Okrandian Klingon.

A small quibble:  Whereas a name may be "valid" - whatever that means - it may
appear in several forms, depending on the language used.  For example, Worf and
B'Etor (Okrand hasn't transcribed B'Elanna yet) are the accepted Federation
Standard spellings of the canonical tlhIngan Hol names {wo'rIv} and {be'etor}.
There are many other such examples, especially geographical names.

: One may choose such a name.

I do agree with you, however, in that novice Klingonists should feel free to
pick any name that strikes their fancy, in any spelling: Standard, tlhIngan
Hol, klingonaase, Paramount, etc.  If they don't want to spell it according to
Okrand's rules, they don't have to; but the option exists nevertheless when
writing ta' Hol.

Also, don't feel compelled to try and translate your human name into Klingon.
I certainly didn't want "Steven Boozer" to be known on this list as {mIv'a'
chechwI'}!  Consider it an opportunity to reinvent yourself.

: peHruS (two extracted syllables which have no standalone meaning)

Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

(whose name is also meaningless, being merely a combination of two Paramount
names heard in TNG episodes I liked: Vagh and Moragh)

Back to archive top level