tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 28 09:39:37 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Uff! :)

Tremal-Naik wrote:
>> *Lenore* chIlmo', be'HomvaD qub 'ej boch

DujHoD:
: {*Lenore* chIlmo'} seems to mean something like "because Lenore is
: lost," but there is no subject in this clause.

> You're right... I'm confusing with chIl and I used it as an adjective.
> Is correct "*Lenore* chIllu'mo'" (in this case chIl assume the passive
> form?). Now I try to find a solution for "is lost"

: There are several parts of this translation that I cannot understand.
: {*Lenore* chIlmo'} seems to mean something like "because Lenore is
: lost," but there is no subject in this clause. Also, I'm not sure {chIl}
: ("lose, misplace") is appropriate in this context. I doubt it can be
: applied to people. (Does anyone know whether we have canon on this?)

Here's what I have for {chIl}:

  tlhonchaj chIljaj
  May they lose their nostrils! TKD

  tlham <chIllu'> (??)
  We've lost gravity! ST6

And we know of at least two ways of saying "I'm lost":

  jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'.  TKD
  DaqwIj vISovbe'.  PK

Whether {chIl} is appropriate here depends on what "the lost Lenore" means to
the narrator.  If he feels that he has lost her - like a parent may lose or
misplace a child who has wandered off in a crowded store - then {chIl} is fine,
but I would translate it as {Lenore vIchIlpu'bogh} "Lenore, whom I have lost" =
"Lenore, the lost" = "the lost Lenore".

Also consider that "lose" is one of many English euphemisms for dead.  ("They
lost their son in the war.")  Although humans (especially those of the 19th
century) may avoid mentioning death, Klingons do not:

  Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'
  The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened...  S31

  Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
  This yell...serves to warn the other dead that a Klingon warrior
   is coming.  S31

Thus: {Heghpu'bogh Lenore} "Lenore, who has died" = "the dead Lenore" as a noun
phrase or, as a verb phrase:

  Heghpu'mo' Lenore, be'Homvetlh qub 'ej 'IH
  because Lenore has died, that rare and beautiful girl

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level