tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 27 11:38:06 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Another little step

jatlh Tremal-Naik:
>SuchwI' neH 'ej pagh law'.

jIyajbe':
>I don't understand the last two clauses at all.

QIj Tremal-Naik:
>It's an attempt to translate "Only a
>visitor and nothing more"... I'm not sure at all with "pagh law'" for
>"nothing more".

{SuchwI' neH} works fine for "only a visitor," but "pagh law'" doesn't
make much sense to me. It seems to mean something like "many nothings,"
or perhaps "a lot of nothing," both of which are oxymoronic. Perhaps
{pagh latlh} ("no others, nothing additional") would work better. But
there is another problem with this last line. Both {SuchwI' neH} and
{pagh law'} (or {pagh latlh}) are nouns. They cannot be joined by a
sentential conjunction. You could connect them with a substantival
conjunction ({je}), but this results in a sentence fragment. I would
recommend using {tu'lu'} as the sentence's verb: {SuchwI' neH pagh latlh
je tu'lu'}. If you want to simplify and shorten the sentence, you could
even remove {pagh latlh je}--a Klingon might see it as being
unnecessarily redundant.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level