tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 24 10:24:07 2000

RE: [KLBC] Silly question wit parHa'

Tremal-Naik:
> If I want to say:
>     I like it
> is right:
>     vIparHa' (I like it)
> or
>     muparHa' (it like to me)

pagh:
: I see what you're going for, but <parHa'> works like the English word
: "like", not the Spanish "gustar" or its Italian equivalent. That is: I like
: it - <'oH vIparHa' jIH>. The subject is the person who likes the thing, and
: the object is the thing which is liked.
:     HIvje'lIj vIparHa' - I like your cup.
:     muparHa'law' be'vetlh - That woman apparently likes me.
:     pu'mey parHa' matlh - Maltz likes phasers.
: Klingon also has the word <bel> - "be pleased", which can be made into
: <belmoH> - "please". This works similarly to the way the Spanish verb
: "gustar" does:
:     mubelmoH qagh - The qagh pleases me.

> Could you show me some examples?

It helps me to think of {belmoH} as meaning to "please (someone)".  We have
just one example from Power Klingon: an amorous Klingon female tried to seduce
the Terran tourist, growling seductively:

  qabelmoH'a'?
  Do I please you?  PK

: There are also some other words similar to <par> which work the same way:
: <Ho'> - "admire" and <muS> - "hate, detest".

Unfortunately, Okrand has never used {par} or {parHa'} in a sentence but he
has, however, used {Ho'}:

  butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
  Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

  ghew vIHo'
  I admire the bug. KGT

  Hew vIHo'
  I admire the statue. KGT

and {muS}:

  romuluS HI' vImuS
  I detest the Romulan dictator. KGT

  romuluS HIq vImuS
  I detest Romulan ale. KGT

  qamuS
  I hate you. (ST:Continuum)

And, since the English glosses "dislike" and "like" are also transitive, {par}
and {parHa'} no doubt work the same way.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level