tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 23 10:53:47 2000

RE: [KLBC] Silly question wit parHa'

Tremal-Naik:

> I've got some subject-object problem with verb parHa'
> and similar...
>
> If I want to say:
>
> 	I like it
>
> is right:
>
> 	vIparHa'
> 	(I like it)
>
> or
>
> 	muparHa'
> 	(it like to me)
>
> ?
>
> Or shall I use -vaD in some way?
>
> Could you show me some examples?
>
> Thanks in advance...

I see what you're going for, but <parHa'> works like the English word
"like", not the Spanish "gustar" or its Italian equivalent. That is: I like
it - <'oH vIparHa' jIH>. The subject is the person who likes the thing, and
the object is the thing which is liked.

HIvje'lIj vIparHa' - I like your cup.
muparHa'law' be'vetlh - That woman apparently likes me.
pu'mey parHa' matlh - Maltz likes phasers.

There are also some other words similar to <par> which work the same way:
<Ho'> - "admire" and <muS> - "hate, detest".

Klingon also has the word <bel> - "be pleased", which can be made into
<belmoH> - "please". This works similarly to the way the Spanish verb
"gustar" does:

mubelmoH qagh - The qagh pleases me.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian