tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 22 10:23:39 2000

RE: tlhIngan "Tao" ?

taj'IH veStay chopwI':
> What would be a good tlhIngan Hol representation of Tao?
>
> I have been thinking about:
> - (tlhIngan) tIgh : the (Klingon) custom/ way (TKW)
> - ghob:	ethics/ virtue (TKW)
>
> I favor ghob - it denotes "a particularly valued quality or a form of
> behavior exemplifies moral correctness, as defined by a society"
[...]
> So I think I have my word for "Tao".

I have used /ghob/ for "Tao" as well.  If you'll search in the archives
(April 2000 - /tlhIngan-Hol/2000/April/) for my
translation of the first chapter of Sun Tzu, you'll see that I've
used /ghob/ for "Tao" there.

> But what is tlhIngan tIgh then?
>
> Is the "Klingon Way" an interpretation of "Virtue", a method to be a
> Klingon, a set of recommendations? Or is it represented by the actual laws
> passed in a Klingon society?
>
> I have no answer here and ask for assistance.

I understand by /tIgh/ something like "tradition, custom" and maybe
even "heritage".  Klingons follow /tIgh/, but AFAIK it's not set down
in law.  It's set down in story and song, however!

--
De'vID