tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 18 06:41:34 2000

Re: KlimerickwIj Qav

jIja':

>> ja' pabpo' <bIbachHa'pu' SoH.
>> <lu' qaH!> HIja'!  mujba' <lu' qoH!>
>> QoblaH Qagh 'e' DatlhojnIS.>
>> <Qagh vISopbe'> ja' ghojwI'.
>> ja' pabpo' <vaj, Qa'Hom, qaHaH!>

ja' ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:

> bIbachHa'pu' SoH.  <qaHaH!> HIja'Qo'!  lughba' <qaHoH!>

> Aside from the apparent typo right at the end, it's quite clever.
> The slight dissonance of the two short lines is unimportant.

No, not a typo; more like cleverness out of control.

The pabpo' is both mimicking his student's gaffes and playfully disguising
the news that the ghojwI' is about to become chopped boqrat liver. That's
the idea anyway. You've pretty well convinced me that the more
straightforward <qaHoH!> would do better.

As for the broken rhyme, they're an acquired taste, but have a surprisingly
long pedigree in English verse. (FWIW, I'd be surprised if Klingons went in
for anything as ear-soothing as rhyme in the first place.)

choqeSmo' qatlho'

qa'ral

Back to archive top level