tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 16 10:48:54 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 11

<< *{puHDep} "land being" >>

peHruS:
: Again, I'm going only on feelings without substantial evidence that one is
: better than another.

No evidence at all, in fact.  Neither {puH} "land", {yav} "ground", or {ghor}
"surface (of planet)" have ever been used in canon by Okrand.

FWIW I've seen *{juHpuH} on the List for "homeland", and the KSRP (Klingon
Shakespeare Restoration Project) used *{'engpuH} (!) for "England".

:                     I see {puH} as a land mass and {yav} as the ground on
: which we stand.  We have used {yavDuj} for "automobile" when {Duj} alone
: didn't express our idea clearly enough.  Personally, I prefer {yavDep} for
: and animate being not humanoid over {puHDep}.

I like *{yavDep} too; I'd quite forgotten about {yav}.  So, *{yavDep} for land
creatures, *{chalDep} - or the IMHO less attractive *{muDDep} - for sky or
flying creatures, and {bIQDep} for water creatures.

: There remains the possibility of {ghorDep} for beings upon the surface of
: the planet, qar'a'?

As scanned from orbit, no doubt.  My own subjective Sprachgefühl is that {ghor}
is a fairly modern, space-age term:

  Saqghom yIchenmoH 'ej ghorDaq yIQol!
  Form a landing party and beam down to the surface.

Just to mention even more related vocabulary, we have {yotlh} "field
(agriculture)", {lam} "dirt" (soil?), and {Hatlh} "country(side)".  (NB: {Sep}
is the term for country or region in the geographical/political sense.)
Finally, the KLI used *{Hatlh'a'} for "continent" on its web site.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level