tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 16 08:30:19 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] ghaytan Help!

Tremal-Naik wrote:

: I always intended ghaytan (likely) as "like". Today I've discovered
: that I'm wrong!! :((

Right. It's an adverbial, meaning surely, probably, certainly, etc.

{ghaytan}  likely (adv.)
 - never used by Okrand

{ghaytanHa'}  unlikely, not likely (adv.)
 - ghaytanHa' jay'
   Not bloody likely! (Radio Times)

:        (I've got many problems with english and in my office I
: haven't an english dictionary). How could I say "like" or "as"?

In general, we use {rur} "resemble":

  SuvwI' juHmey rur tachmey.
  Bars resemble warriors' homes. CK
  [or: "Bars are like warriors' homes."]

  Dejpu'bogh Hov rur qablIj.
  Your face looks like a collapsed star! PK

  Hov ghajbe'bogh ram rur pegh ghajbe'bogh jaj.
  A day without secrets is like a night without stars. PK

  matay'DI' vIHtaHbogh bIQ rur mu'qaDmey.
  Between us, curses run like water. PK

  Doq 'ej beqpuj rur
  (it) is {Doq} and resembles {beqpuj} (an orange mineral)
  [i.e. "it's orange"]
  [Objects may be compared to something else that typically has a
   particular color.]  KGT

  Doq 'ej Qaj wuS rur
  be orange/red and resemble *kradge* lips [i.e. be brown]
  ["The lips of the kradge are presumably a particular shade of
    brown."] (startrek.klingon 2/98)

We learn in Klingon for the Galactic Traveller that {rur} is used to form a
large number of common Klingon similes (clichés):

  ram; ghIlab ghew rur
  trivial as a glob fly

  let mInDu'Daj; Separmey rur
  Her eyes are hard; they resemble separ.
  [Her eyes are as hard as separ-stones.]

  HoSghaj; mupwI' rur
  powerful as a hammer

  bIr; bortaS rur
  cold as revenge

  puj; bIQ rur
  weak as water

  HoS; 'Iw rur
  strong as blood

  'oj; bomwI' rur
  thirsty as a singer

  ghung; qagh rur
  hungry as {gagh}

  jeD; ghevI' rur
  thick as {qagh} sauce

  mIgh; molor rur
  evil as Molor

  ngo'; QI'tu' rur
  old as Qui'Tu

  qan; QI'tu' rur
  He/she is as old as Qui'Tu [Paradise]

  qej; veqlargh rur
  mean as Fek'lhr

  quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur
  dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor

  wov; ghI'boj Sech rur
  bright as the Torch of G'boj

  jej; Daqtagh rur
  sharp as a *d'k tahg*

  jejHa'; naH taj rur
  dull as a vegetable knife

  lo'laHbe'; chetvI' chIm rur
  worthless as an empty torpedo tube

  yuD; jey'naS rur
  dishonest as a double-headed ax

  yuDHa'; ghIt rur
  honest as an ax head (or, honest as an open hand)

  Dogh; tIghla' rur
  foolish as a *t'gla*

  tlhIb; toppa' rur
  incompetent as a *topah*

  bIt; tI'qa' vIghro' rur
  nervous as a *tika* cat.

  tun; reghuluS 'Iwghargh rur
  soft as a Regulan bloodworm

  tlhab; ngem Ha'DIbaH
  rur free (independent) as a forest animal

  'up; yIH rur
  disgusting as a tribble

  matlhHa'; romuluSngan rur
  disloyal as a Romulan

  qur; verengan rur
  greedy as a Ferengi

  wIH; Hur'Iqngan rur
  ruthless as a *Hur'q*

  Hoj; tera'ngan rur
  cautious as a Terran

  Hem; tlhIngan rur
  proud as a Klingon

  nong; vulqangan rur
  passionate as a Vulcan (ironic!)

  tam; Hew rur
  quiet as a statue

  val; Huy' rur
  clever as an eyebrow

  lugh; Sor rur
  correct as a tree

  'IQ; rav rur
  sad as a floor

  Sagh; Ho''oy rur
  serious as a toothache

  boch; ghIch rur
  shiny as a nose

For variety, you can also use {nIb} "be identical" and {rap} "be the same".
For "unlike", you say {rurbe'}; {pIm} "be different" and {Sar} "be varied, be
various" are also useful.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons