tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 14 10:36:59 2000

Re: [KLBC] [The Raven] Part 11

Tremal-Naik wrote:

: Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discurse so plainly,
: Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
: For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
: Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
: Bird or beast upon the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
: With such name as "Nevermore"
:
: mu'tlheghDaj Huj 'oH
: 'ach jatlhchu'bogh toQ quvHa' vIQoyDI' mumerlu'ta';
: 'ej not lojmIt DangDaq Qambogh toQ'e' leghta' Human
: *statue* DungDaq Qambogh toQ'e' *beast*'e' ghap leghbe'ta' Human
: 'ej "not law'" 'oH pongDaj
:
: PS: Any idea for "statue" and "beast"?

{Hew} statue (from KGT)

I think {Ha'DIbaH} "animal" works fine here; the contrast is bird vs. animal.
{Dep} "being (nonhumanoid)" is possible, though I think it would include
birds.

FYI: We now have {bIQDep} "fish" (lit. "water being") from KGT, which has led
some on the list to use *{chalDep} for "bird" (or any other kind of flying
creature, like Ed's {puvbogh Qa'Hom} "flying mouse").  If you do use
*{chalDep}, you might want to contrast it with *{puHDep} "land being" or
*{ghorDep} "surface (of planet) being" for euphony.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level