tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 08 19:52:58 2000

jalth loD, jatlh be'

Recently, I caught the following joke which was told between a group
of Klingons.  I recognized it immediately as a Klingon variant of an old
Terran favourite.

Several things give away this joke's Terran origin immediately.  Klingons
rarely perform the activity described therein on a /QongDaq/, that is,
a bed.  Furthermore, the woman in the joke complains too much, which is
not usually characteristic of Klingon females.  Finally, the joke closes
with a disparaging remark about Terrans, as if to add insult to the injury
of having stolen the joke from them.

And now, the joke:

jatlh loD: yIQot!

jatlh be: letqu' QongDaq.

jatlh loD: yIleS!

jatlh be': bIpo'bej vaj jIjaq.

jatlh loD: DughIj'a' jo'wIj?

jatlh be': tInqu' jo'lIj!

jatlh loD: yItamchoH!

jatlh be': chuSqu' tIqwIj!

jatlh loD: yIpoSmoHqu'!

jatlh be: vIpoSmoHbej!

jatlh loD: DaH 'el!

jatlh be': tIq 'ej jej!

jatlh loD: 'oy''a'?

jatlh be': 'oy'qu'!

(loQ mev)

jatlh loD: pItlh!

jatlh be': vaj jIHu'.

(A variant of the joke has the joke-teller asking the audience at this
point what it thinks the man and the woman are doing.  Then the
punchline...)

pu' Ho' HaqwI' ghaH loD'e'.  SIDDaj ghaH be''e'.
latlh qech DaQubchugh, vaj ropqu'taH yablIj; tera'ngan yab rur.

(The astute xeno-anthropologist will undoubtedly note that this is a
"phasor dental surgery" joke, a subgenre popular among some Federation
members, and which others find painful.)

--
De'vID