tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 11:47:32 2000

RE: [KLBC] Adjectives

Tremal-Naik:

> nuqneH!
>
> If I want to say "I'm pleased" it's better:
>
> 	jIbel
> or
> 	jIH bel
> ?

<jIbel> is perfect.

> And if the verb isn't in the form "to be ..." I must
> use suffix -lu', am I right?
>
> 	I'm promoted
> 	vInumlu'

You're certainly right about this example. In general, though, it's not
about whether there's a "to be" in the definition, but rather what roles the
nouns can play.

If I want to say "I'm dead", I would say <jIHegh> - "I died" or <jIHeghpu'>
- "I have died". If I want to say "I'm shot", I would say <vIbachlu'> -
"Someone shot me". Is the verb something that you're doing, or something
being done to you?

> In this case could I use numlu' (be promoted?) as an adjective?

ghobe'. Only verbs which "describe a state or quality" can be used as
adjectives. This is where the "to be" in the definition can make a
difference. Generally, verbs with "be" in the definition can act as
adjectives, and ones without "be" cannot. This is just a guideline, though,
and there are likely exceptions on both sides.

Also, the only suffixes allowed on verbs acting as adjectives are <-be'>,
<-Ha'> and <-qu'>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level