tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 19 11:25:21 2000

Re: A simple question with no obvious answer

lay'tel SIvten:
> What does 'FASA' mean?  how would one ask that in Klingon?
> I don't see any word meaning 'to mean' or 'meaning' anywhere.

DujHoD:
: I might say something like:  "FASA" yIQIj.

"Explain 'FASA'!"  Short and to the point.  Another option is to use the verb
{'oS} "represent":

  nuq 'oS <<FASA>>'e'?

{'oS} has been used in canon:

  toDuj 'oS rol
  A beard is a symbol of courage. TKW

  qorDu'Daj tuq 'oS Ha'quj'e' tuQbogh wo'rIv
  The sash that Worf wears is a symbol of his family's house. S20

  yay 'oS bey
  This yell is victorious in nature... S31

Interestingly, none of Okrand's English translations contain the TKD definition
"represent", which shows that {'oS} is somewhat flexible - in case the
literalists complain.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons