tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 18 21:44:28 2000

RE: names of weapons

De'vID answered malqa':

: > haf'leth
:
: I've seen this in noncanon literature. It must be a FASA term or
: something. I think this word might have been used in fandom to
: refer to a mek'leth before Paramount actually named the weapon.

I'd guess fandom.  It doesn't look anything like the *klingonaase* used in
John Ford's FASA materials.

: > chu'nISwI' HIch
: > ngo'SIwI' Hich
:
: Since /chu'/ and /ngo'/ are "new" and "old", and /nISwI' HIch/ is
: disruptor, I'd guess that this is someone's way of referring to
: new and old style disruptors.  Of course /chu'/ and /ngo'/ should
: go after the noun in proper tlhIngan Hol.

Hmm... just playing with the vocabulary:

nISwI' HIch chu' "a new disruptor rifle" (right out of the box)?
nISwI' HIch ngo' "an old disruptor rifle" (dented and beat-up)?

vs.

nISwI' chu' HIch "a new-style disruptor rifle" (i.e. TOS era)?
nISwI' ngo' HIch "an old-style disruptor rifle" (i.e. TNG era)?

: A possible source for these words is FASA's Star Trek
: role-playing game.  I remember that the weapon that
: we now know as the D'k tagh /Daqtagh/ was popularly called
: something else, a name coined by FASA which I forget, before
: Paramount officially us a different name.

The triple-bladed combat knife was first called, inter alia, a *lev'ek* in
fandom after it was seen in ST3.  Paramount eventually coined the term <d'k
tahg> somewhere in the middle of TNG's run IIRC.

None of malqa's words look like FASA.  I don't think that FASA/Ford ever
used any of Marc Okrand's tlhIngan Hol in their materials since Ford had
already invented *klingonaase* for his novel _The Final Reflection_ and
extended it in FASA's RPG materials.  Does anyone have a full set of all
the FASA materials: both manuals and the various Klingon-related game modules?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level