tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 18 15:59:45 2000

Re: help me explain

jatlh malqa:
>I"m trying to explain to others
>why it is incorrect in *tlhIngan Hol* to write their name with
>the format of *any consenent + ' * such as K'.......,etc .And that
>B'Elanna is actually incorrect , it would be written correctly in tlhIngan
>Hol as be'elanna (unless I myself goofed up repeating what I was told here
>previously). Please help me with the grammer rule of *'* in names
>especially at the beginning of the name. I've noticed that many members
>of Klingon clubs use this format ,but isn't it incorrect ?I'm confused .
>I hope that someone understand what I'm trying to say.

You're talking about two different styles of transliteration here. One
is the tlhIngan Hol everyone on this mailing list understands and
accepts. Another is the style that the Star Trek writers prefer. This
latter style ignores tlhIngan Hol completely, making a bunch of foreign-
sounding words (but not too foreign) with English capitalization plus a
bunch of apostrophes sprinkled in. {qempeq}, for example, is an actual
tlhIngan Hol name. K'mpec is how Paramount renders it. It is not
tlhIngan Hol, but it is not necessarily wrong.

BTW, I believe {be'elana} only has one {n}.

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level