tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 16 00:09:17 2000

RE: KLBC Questions One

ja' Voragh:
>FYI, {HoS} appears in a few noun phrases of a technical or engineering nature:
>
>  HoS choHwI'  transtator
>  HoS Hal      power supply, power source
>  HoS lIngwI'  power generator
>
>as well as in compound nouns:
>
>  HoSchem      energy field
>  HoSDo'       energy beings (pl.)

Watch it -- these last two aren't necessarily "compound nouns".  We don't
actually have a separate noun {*chem} in the dictionary, though the phrase
{peQ chem} is good evidence that one exists.  {HoSDo'}, however, probably
has nothing to do with a hypothetical present-day noun {Do'}.  Its origin
might have been as a compound noun, or it might have been something else
entirely (consider {qa'meH} for an example of "something else entirely").

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level