tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 10:46:50 2000

RE: KLBC Questions One

jatlh Rohn A.:
> I am trying to convey a similar idea with "strong one" plus "to swear, to
> bind oneself by an oath" (which would be much like the concept of
> faithfulness). Each piece depicts a small portion of the person it
represents.

jang pagh:
: While Klingon does have compound nouns and a few words that appear to be
: derived from compounds of other types of words, there's not a general
: process for combining two things like this into a single word. If you want
: to come up with a noun phrase for someone who is strong and swears an oath,
: you'll basically have to build it up out of <HoS> and <'Ip>. Here are some
: useful phrases:
:   HoSwI' - strong one
:   'IpwI' - one who swears (an oath) / swearer (of an oath)
:   'Ipbogh <X> - X who swears (an oath). X could be <ghot>, <nuv>, or
:     anything else you can think of.
:   'Ipbogh HoSwI' - Strong one who swears.
:   'IpwI' HoS - Strong swearer / strong one who swears.

You also have the homophonous nouns {HoS} "strength, energy, power" and {'Ip}
"vow, oath" to play with in constructing your name - and these can be stuck
together to form compound nouns:

  'IpHos      oath's strength
  HoS'Ip      power's vow

or used in noun phrases with other derived nouns:

  HoS 'IpwI'  strength-swearer

(Note, however, that this last one could also be translated as a sentence: "The
swearer is strong.")

FYI, {HoS} appears in a few noun phrases of a technical or engineering nature:

  HoS choHwI'  transtator
  HoS Hal      power supply, power source
  HoS lIngwI'  power generator

as well as in compound nouns: