tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 11 00:08:31 2000

RE: KLBC Questions One

jatlh pagh:

>I am trying to come up with a tlhIngan mu' for
>strength (strong one) and to swear, to bind
>oneself by an oath.
>I'm really not sure what you're going for here. >You're asking about two words - "strength" and >"swear" - but I don't see anything about what >you want to do with them. You've probably found >the right words in <HoS> and <'Ip>, but I don't >see what you're trying to express, so I can't >help you put them together. Post again with the >idea you're trying to express and I will help.

In some languages, such as Greek, they have a way to combine word forms from two or more concepts. Such as 'desmophulax' comes from 'desmos' and 'phulax'. Desmophulax means a jailer as in guarding the prisoner. Where as desmos means a band as in shackle of a prisoner also a ligament (of the body), and phulax means a keeper as in a watchman. Is it possible to do the same thing in tlhIngan Hol? I am trying to convey a similar idea with "strong one" plus "to swear, to bind oneself by an oath(which would be much like the concept of faithfulness)." Each piece depicts a small portion of the person it represents.
                     Qapla'
                     Rohn A.