tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 01 17:29:32 1999

Re: KLBC/why i speak klingon

jatlh qultoQ:

>> >[welch' Auto ist's?  das hab'ich nicht gewußt.
>
>nuq *car*?

This isn't a complete centence. Additionally, the Klingon {nuq} doesn't mean
"what kind of". However, there's a smooth way to render this in Klingon.
Just turn the question into a command using {ngu'}: {yavDujvetlh (Segh)
yIngu'} - "Identify that (type of) car!"

> vISov.

That means "I knew it". You need the negation of that. For clarity, add what
you didn't know: {ngoDvam vISovbe'} - "I didn't know this fact."

>[how does one indicate a rhetorical or some sort question? ie "this is a
>klingon list, right?"]

tlhIngan Hol jabbI'IDghom 'oH jabbI'IDghomvam'e', qar'a'?
Just add {qar'a'?} - "Is that accurate?"

>> >echts, *qultoQ* ist wie mann "phoenix", auf tlhIngan Hol sagt,
>steht's?
>
>*phoenix* 'oS "qultoQ".

maj.

>> >das't wie ich hab' das g'meint.
>
>'oH vIHech 'e'.

I'm not sure what the {'e'} is doing here. I suppose you were going for
"This is what...". You can't do this. {'e'} has to be the object of a second
sentence. Also, {Hech} is glossed as "intend, mean to". You intend to _do_
something. "That's how I intended it." is a difficult thing to say in
Klingon because there's no such thing as an indirect question in Klingon. We
need to do some recasting here. How about something like: "Due to this
reason I have chosen my name." - {meqvammo' pongwIj vIwIvta'}

>> > verstehen Sie das mir?
>
>choyaj'a'?

maj.

>> jIyaj, 'ach mu'tlheghmeylIj vIlaDDI', mu' <steht's>mo' loQ jImIS.
>
>jItlhIj...
>
>> QInlIjDaq pIj Dalo'mo', DaH vIyaj. <stimmt's> bIjatlh 'e' DaHechba'.
>
>maj.  <stimmt's> vIHech 'e' DuH.

Careful. {'e'} is used for sentence-as-object constructions. "It is possible
that..." is a sentence-as-subject construction. However you can say this
easily with a type 6 suffix. Choose the one that comes closest to your
feeling:
{<stimmt's> jIjatlh 'e' vIHechlaw'} - "I apparently intended to say
<stimmt's>."
{<stimmt's> jIjatlh 'e' vIHechba'} - "I obviously intended to say
<stimmt's>."
or even: {<stimmt's> jIjatlh 'e' vIHechbej} - "I certainly intended to say
<stimmt's>."
Also note that I said {jIjatlh 'e' vIHech}, not just *{vIHech}.

>> Ja, obwohl ich mit dem "steht's" zuerst nichts anfangen konnte.
>
>jIQaghlaw', <stimmt's>? :)

qar.

>> >Deutsch sprech'ich, aber jetzt, mein Hochdeutsch, nicht so gut ist.
>(:]
>>
>> qay'be'. naDev tlhIngan Hol'e' wIghoj, ram *German* Hol.
>
>jItlhIj <again>... qarbe'law' jItlhIjqa'

maj. lugh mu'tlheghlIj 'ach bItlhIjnISbe'.

>> qaStaHvIS poHvetlh - while that time was happening, or: during that
>time, or: at that time
>> The {qaStaHvIS}implies a duration of time, not a point in time.
>
>ah, okay...
>
>> :-) *Hanse* DaDab'a'?
>
>jIQoS.  vIyajbe' <Dab>.

<Dab> is the object. Thus it comes before the verb. {mu' <Dab> vIyajbe'} -
"I don't understand the word <Dab>."

"dwell, reside at", from KGT. I suspect you don't have KGT?

>>vengmey DIvI' 'oH *Hanse*'e'. ben law' *North Germany*Daq mech *Hanse*
>jeSwI'mey.
>
>tamwI' jIHbe'.  DuHechchugh, 'oH'a'?

jIyajchu'be'. "I'm not an exchanger. If you intended it, is it?"
Anyway, I was just joking. veng 'oS mu' <Stadt>. <Staat> bIjatlh 'e'
DaHechba'.

>> Now I have a challenge for you: Say everything you just said in German
>in
>> Klingon, so that everybody can understand it.
>
>okay, warum nicht?... :)
>
>> HovqIj
>
>-qultoQ

HovqIj